Resources: To prepare for this assignment, review the following theories of aging listed in Chapters 13, 14, and 15 of the textbook.
- The Five-Factor Trait Model
- Rate-of-Living Theories
- Cellular Theories
- Programmed-Cell-Death Theories
- Information Processing Theory
- Continuity Theory
- Competence and Environmental Press Theory
- Erik Erickson’s Integrity vs. Despair
Part 1: Older Adult Interview
Interview an older adult of your choice (they may be your parents, relatives, or friends) and have a discussion about the factors that influenced their development. Address the following as part of the interview:
- Cognitive, physical, and psychosocial development during the interviewee’s Maturity Stage of Adulthood (age 65 or older).
- How peers influenced the interviewee during his or her adolescent/young adult stage.
- What people and/or events influenced the interviewee’s development of morals such as faith, ethics, and culture?
- How the interviewee’s experiences, positive or negative, have formulated who he or she is as a mature adult.
Note: American Counseling Association (ACA) ethical guidelines indicate that interviewees have the right to refuse to answer any question posed to them by an interviewer. Please ensure that your interviewees are aware of this, and do not force them to answer where the opportunity to reply has been refused.
Pick one of the theories reviewed in Chapters 14 and 15 of the text.
Part 2: Reflection
From the perspective of your specific discipline, write a paper of 750-1,000 words, discussing the selected theory and how it relates to your interview. Include the following in your paper:
- A description of the selected theory.
- A description of your interviewee (gender, age, ethnicity, etc.).
- How the interviewee’s responses illustrate the selected theory. Support your response with examples.
- Discuss the ethical and cultural strategies for promoting resilience, optimum development, and wellness in older adults in general.
- Include at least three scholarly references in addition to a personal communication reference for the interviewee.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. Please use APA Headings.