Discussion: Data Relations Instructions
In your discussion post, address the following:
Identify the typical relationships between the entities listed below. As you are completing this, comment on your assumptions and the mental models that affect your decision. Be sure to include minimum and maximum values. Use the Internet to look up terms and examples.
When denoting the relationships, use the scheme introduced in the textbook to depict one-to-one (1:1) or one-to-many (1:*).
- Company, CEO
- Restaurant, Cook
- TV Show, commercial ad
- E-mail address, computer user
- Item, List price
- Car, Car wash
- House, Painter
- Dog, Owner
- Manager, Worker
- Doctor, Patient
For each of the entities in the following list (left side), identify whether each of the items on the right should be an attribute of that entity or a separate entity. In the case of a separate entity, be sure to defend your answer.
1) Employee – Name, Date Hired, Manager, Spouse, Job
2) Factory – Manager, Address, Supplier, Machine, Size
3) Boat – Dock, Length, Passenger, Captain, Weight
4) Dentist- Patient, Graduate School, Emergency Phone, Drill
5) Library – Book, Librarian, Number of Books, Visitor