Cultural Journal Report
Your cultural journal is a place for reflection and for connecting the topics we learn about in class with assigned activities, your experiences and observations.
Unit 4 is designed to increase your:
- Understanding of cultural differences in communication (week 12).
- Understanding of Kendi’s (2019) argument for anti-racism (week 13).
- Understanding of multicultural competence (week 13).
Cultural Journal #4:
Please respond to the following prompts:
- Reflect on the role of culture in communication. Why is culture important in communication? In what ways can inter-cultural communication create challenges and misunderstandings?
- How do topics we have studied this semester in this class relate to Balcazar’s model of cultural competence?
- How are cultural competence, as defined by Balcazar, and anti-racism, as described by Kendi, related?
In this reflection, incorporate topics and terminology we have covered in unit 4 (e.g., kinesics, proxemics, paralanguage, non-verbal communication, anti-racism, multicultural competence, anti-racism).
Your assignment should be 300 words in length. You must use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. Remember that the purpose of this assignment is for you to reflect on the questions that are posed and relate your reflections to topics that we cover in class. The goal is reflection and course connection. Please be thoughtful in your responses.
Assessment Criteria: Your journal will be graded based on being turned in on time, length, writing quality, conceptual accuracy and course connections. Points will be deducted:
- for journals that do not meet the length requirement (your maximum score will be based on the number of words you write).
- (one point) for every two writing errors.
- for content that is conceptually or factually inaccurate.
- if there are no course connections.