Assignment Guidelines NR224 Fundamentals – Skills
NR224 Safety Goals RUA.docx Revised 06/14/2016 BME 1
Required Uniform Assignment: National Patient Safety Goals
PURPOSE This exercise is designed to increase the students’ awareness of the National Patient Safety Goals developed by The Joint Commission. Specifically, this assignment will introduce the Speak Up Initiatives, an award- winning patient safety program designed to help patients promote their own safety by proactively taking charge of their healthcare.
COURSE OUTCOMES This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO #2: Apply the concepts of health promotion and illness prevention in the laboratory setting. (PO #2)
CO #8: Explain the rationale for selected nursing interventions based upon current nursing literature. (PO #8)
DUE DATE Week 6
Campus: As directed by your faculty member
Online: As directed by your faculty member
POINTS 50 points
REQUIREMENTS 1. Select a Speak Up brochure developed by The Joint Commission. Follow this link to the proper
2. Write a short paper reviewing the brochure. Use the Grading Criteria (below) to structure your critique, and include current nursing or healthcare research to support your critique.
a. The length of the paper is to be no greater than three pages, double spaced, excluding title page and reference page. Extra pages will not be read and will not count toward your grade.
3. This assignment will be graded on quality of information presented, use of citations, and use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and organization based on the required components.
4. Create the review using Microsoft Word 2007 (a part of Microsoft Office 2007), the required format for all Chamberlain documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word 2007 document because it will end in “.docx.”
5. Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Forum in your online course or directly with your faculty member if you are taking NR224 on campus.
6. APA format is required with both a title page and reference page. Use the required components of the review as Level 1 headers (upper- and lowercase, bold, centered).
a. Introduction b. Summary of Brochure c. Evaluation of Brochure d. Conclusion
PREPARING THE PAPER The following are the best practices in preparing this paper.
1) Read the brochure carefully and take notes. Highlighting important points has been helpful to many students.