Assignment: “Captain of the Ship”Project
– Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders
There are many disorders that result in the development of “positive” symptoms,
such as hallucinations and delusions, but not all of these conditions represent schizophrenia. When treating schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders, emphasis should be placed not only on treating the positive symptoms but the negative and residual symptoms as well.
This week, you will explore a wide variety of disorders along the schizophrenia spectrum as you become “captain of the ship” once again. You also will analyze issues involved with state practice agreements.
In this assignment, you will become “captain of the ship” as you take full responsibility for a client with schizophrenia spectrum by recommending psychopharmacologic treatment and psychotherapy, identifying medical management needs and community support, and recommending follow-up plans.
Remember that there is an excellent example for ‘Captain of the Ship’ project attached with this ASSIGNMENT.
To prepare for this Assignment
Select an adult or older adult client with a schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorder that you have seen in your practicum/clinical rotation site.
In 3-4 pages, write a treatment plan for your client. In which you do the following:
· Describe the history of the present illness (HPI) and clinical impression for the client.
· Recommend psychopharmacologic treatments based on evidence-based practice and describe specific and therapeutic end points for your psychopharmacologic agent. (This should relate to HPI and clinical impression.).
· Recommend psychotherapy choices (individual, family, and group) and specific therapeutic endpoints for your choices.
· Identify medical management needs, including primary care needs, specific to this client.
· Identify community support resources (housing, socioeconomic needs, etc.) and community agencies that are available to assist the client.
· Recommend a plan for follow-up intensity and frequency and collaboration with other providers.
N: B. (1)The Captain of the Ship project needs to show that you are evaluating the patient, making a diagnosis, providing treatment plans and outcomes as well as collaborating with other providers. The project MUST meet all these requirements. (2) The choice of medications should be clear, and the medical management should be clear. (3) Consider using the bipolar disorder algorithm from http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/new-psychopharmacology-algorithms